当前位置: 首页> 价格优势> 一孕妇去星巴克买咖啡,店员服务过头,路人急了……
  • 一孕妇去星巴克买咖啡,店员服务过头,路人急了……
  • 2022-07-28 09:50:06

  • 焦糖玛奇朵咖啡 2019.06.18

    周二 Tuesday

    overrate

     [,əuvə'reit] 

    v. 过高评价



    做生意

    搞辩论

    图片来源:视觉中国


    Being right is overrated.

    “我是对的”其实没有你想的那么重要。


    So many other human nuances hold greater sway in our fact-free, give-it-to-me-now-or-else world.

    在我们这个“不管事实如何,现在就给我,不然就算了”的世界里,人类还有如此多其他方面的细微差别有着更大的影响力。


    I was, therefore, rendered temporarily insensate by a story of righteousness emerging from a simple Starbucks transaction.

    因此,一桩简单的星巴克交易所引发的正义故事,让我暂时失去了理智。


    At least, it had a simple beginning.

    至少,故事的开头是很简单的。


    In the Twitter-telling of English comedian Tiffany Stevenson, a woman walked into the Starbucks and ordered what they call over there a "caramel macchiato."

    英国喜剧演员蒂芙尼·史蒂文森的推特写着,一位女士走进星巴克,点了一杯他们称之为“焦糖玛奇朵”的咖啡。


    Stevenson described what happened next: 

    史蒂文森描述了接下来发生的事情:


    Unbelievable bit of womb bothering in Starbucks at services.

    星巴克的服务被子宫影响了,难以置信。


    A pregnant woman got her Caramel Macchiato and the guy behind the counter said: 'Oh, it's for you.' 

    一位孕妇点的焦糖玛奇朵,柜台后面的男人说:“噢,是你要喝呀。”


    Do you want me to make a decaf?'

    你要我做无咖啡因咖啡吗?”


    She said: 'No, thanks.' 

    她说:“不用,谢谢。”


    Him: 'No, I should because caffeine is bad for the baby.'

    他说:“不,当然应该做无咖啡因的,因为咖啡因对宝宝不好。”


    Let's take this slowly. A Starbucks barista claims to be a baby expert and attempts to lecture a pregnant customer.

    让我们仔细品品,一位星巴克服务员声称自己是一位婴儿专家,并试图对一位怀孕的顾客进行指导。


    Worse, the barista is a man. Because men know so much more about pregnancy than women. About everything, really.

    更糟的是,服务员是个男的。因为男人比女人更了解怀孕。更了解一切,真的。


    There was, sadly, more: 

    遗憾的是,还有更过分的:


    Her: 'It's fine, I have one a day' 

    她说:“没关系,我每天都会喝一杯。”


    Him: 'But...you shouldn't'

    他:“但是……你不应该喝”


    Me: almost spontaneously combusting. 'Are you a man, telling a woman what she should and shouldn't have during a pregnancy?' 

    我: 怒火中烧。“你一个男人,在告诉一个女人在怀孕期间应该和不应该做什么?”


    Then he says: 'Oh just because it's bad for the baby so that's why I'm saying it.'

    然后他说:“哦,我是因为这对婴儿不好才一直这么说的。”


    Stevenson said she tried to remonstrate with him, in the forlorn hope that he might, perhaps, be struck with a little self-awareness: 

    史蒂文森说,她心存侥幸试着向他提出抗议,希望他也许能有点自知之明。


    Then he continues to try and justify policing a complete stranger for 5 minutes. He was maybe 30 years old max.

    然后,他又花了五分钟对一个路人证明自己的正确性。他大约三十几岁。


    Naturally, I asked Starbucks whether it gives specific pregnancy advice training to its employees -- or, indeed, to others it might teach in the coffee-making ways -- and will update, should I hear.

    自然,我问星巴克,它是否为员工提供怀孕建议培训——或者,实际上,是否为其他可能教咖啡制作方法的员工提供此类培训——如果答案是肯定的,我还会问,那么培训是否会持续更新。


    A company spokesperson did tell Allure: 

    该公司的一位发言人告诉《Allure》杂志:


    We have reason to believe that this was truly a misunderstanding, and the worker was trying to clarify the customer's order.

    我们有理由相信这确实是一个误会,工作人员当时正在努力弄清楚客户的订单。


    Quite some misunderstanding.

    这可真是很大的误解啊。


    For what it might be worth, I could find no scientific evidence that coffee in moderation is harmful during pregnancy. 

    或许值得注意的是,我没有发现任何科学证据表明,在怀孕期间适量饮用咖啡是有害的。


    今日词汇

     

    overrate

     [,əuvə'reit] 

    v. 过高评价




    不难看出,这个词是 over + rate


    rate 作名词是“比率”,作动词是“评价”。


    而 overrate 就是“给予……过高评价”、“把……看得过于重要”。


    In my opinion, Hirst's work has been vastly overrated.

    在我看来,赫斯特的作品被大大地高估了。




    参考链接:

    https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/a-starbucks-customer-ordered-a-simple-coffee-then-barista-went-too-far.html


    编辑:梅园西墙的王半仙

    翻译:Scarlett



    想拥有一口流利英语?

    免费体验口语课程 ↓



    焦糖玛奇朵咖啡


    ↓ 扫描二维码 ↓

    马上体验




    想要更多免费福利?

    点击【阅读原文】,立即获取

    焦糖玛奇朵咖啡 ↓↓↓